The most complete information guide about Athens, Greece

Churches in Athens

Agios Elissaios
(Saint Elissaios)

The remains of the church of Saint Elissaios are on Areos street, opposite the archaeological site of Hadrian’s Library on the corner of Dexippou street. The church was built during Ottoman rule, possibly during the 17the century. It belonged to Chomationas Logethetis, a Greek who functioned as consul of England in Athens, whose house was nearby. During the German occupation, in 1943, the church was demolished against regulations by his owner, commander Kazakos.

Historical descriptions and drawings provide information about the church’s appearance. It was an aisle-less church with a wooden roof with sculptural and architectural elements from other building incorporated into the external walls.

This small church is connected with the city’s modern history. At the end of the 19th century it was frequented by the writer Alexandros Papadiamantis and his cousin Alexandros Moraitidis who sung there. At that time many important scholars and writers attended mass at the church.

Areos street
Nearest metro station Monastiraki
For typical words, please consult our Greek glossary. Top of the page


Add to Favit Add to Digg Add to Add to Simpy Add to StumbleUpon Add to Netscape Add to Furl Add to Yahoo Add to Google Add to Blogmarks Add to Ma.Gnolia Add to Netvouz







    © 2004-2009 - Athens Info Guide - All rights reserved - Disclaimer