The most complete information guide about Athens, Greece

The Fethiye Cami (Mosque) in Athens

Churches in Athens

Fethiye Mosque (Cami)
(Mosque of Victory)

Fethiye Cami is on the corner of the Panos and Pelopida streets near the Roman Agora. It was built after Mehmed II Fatih (the Conqueror) came to Athens around 1458 and, just like all mosques built under the same name and in the same period in other Ottoman towns, it commemorates the Fall of Constantinople in 1453.

Today the mosque is property of the Archaeological Society acting as a storehouse of archaeological material. The building is also known under the names “Mosque of the Wheat Market” and “Market Mosque” due to the position it held near the cereal market during the Ottoman period.

Despite its historical significance, its architecture is not particularly interesting. From October 1687, after Athens was occupied by Venetian troops commanded by Francesco Morosini until April 1688, the mosque was converted into a catholic church dedicated to Saint Dionysius Areopagite. When the Venetians left the city, the mosque returned to its previous use which finally changed after the Greek War of Independence of 1821.

In 1824 the place was used as School of the Filomoussos Society (Society of the Muses’ Friends) while the building was later managed by the Greek Army. As a result, the building was first used in 1843 as a guardhouse. It was either then or earlier that the minaret was pulled down according to the general trend of the times to “clean” Greece from its Ottoman past. The place was later used as a military prison, garrison headquarters and military bakery.

Location map Panos and Pelopida streets
Nearest metro station Monastiraki
For typical words, please consult our Greek glossary. Top of the page


Add to Favit Add to Digg Add to Add to Simpy Add to StumbleUpon Add to Netscape Add to Furl Add to Yahoo Add to Google Add to Blogmarks Add to Ma.Gnolia Add to Netvouz










   © 2004-2009 - Athens Info Guide - All rights reserved - Disclaimer